Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Works-for-Me Wednesday- Going Juvenile

This past weekend, we had two big holidays to celebrate. Valentine's Day meant lots of hearts and candies exchanged among the children's friends. Chinese New Year meant explaining different calendar systems to the kids and attempting to cook authentic foods.

Last week we took the kids to the library for story time. I knew I wanted to try something besides fried rice for this weekend, but am often intimidated by the large cookbook section my library offers. I decided to hit the juvenile non-fiction section and see what it would bring. The instructions were easy, they showed me a picture of bok choy, so I could recognize it at the market, and it included step-by-step pictures! Our menu on Sunday afternoon included Chinese New Year's Noodles, Dumplings (jiaozi), and Red Bean Buns (baozi) we finished off with some canned lychee for dessert.

I have used the kids' section for craft books and have now discovered the cookbooks. I love that I don't have to take my kids into the quiet adult section, I love how easy the instructions are, I love how helpful the librarians are...I may never return to the adult section again! Going juvenile works for me!

Find some other great tips at We Are That Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment