Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Resource Review- A Woman After God's Own Heart

One of my very favorite books in the whole world is  A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. I read it every year and am blessed each and every time. This book will help you discover what God's heartbeat is about. It will help you look at your life and put your priorities in order.

From the back cover: "Let God fulfill His greatest desire for you. Allow Him to transform you by preparing your heart and mind to embrace His incredible work. You'll find lasting joy and peace in a life of prayer, a life of priorities, a life as A Woman After God's Own Hear."

I think of this as my "go-to" book when I'm making any plans or considering a new commitment. First and foremost we must love, honor, and obey the Lord. Then George identifies five areas that are on God's heart, and should define our lives: our husbands, our children, our homes, our friends, our ministries.

Understanding these priorities and how they should fit into our lives is truly foundational. Saving some money and getting great deals is awesome. It's good stewardship of our money and taking care of our families. But what about the times when we pursue the deal to the detriment of our families? I have spent hours reading blogs and ads and searching coupons sites and organizing my shopping lists and coupons. Some times it does get a bit out of control and I need to set it aside because enough time and effort has been given to the pursuit of a good deal. I need to be okay with missing out on something that doesn't matter quite so much. We need to keep our lives in perspective- everything we do is important, and it's good to keep a focus on how God would desire for these priorities to fall and how they interact with one another.

Have you read this book? Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment